The Animator’s Toolbar is a Photoshop panel for Photoshop Animators, which provides access to the Timeline functions with the click of a button and extends Photoshop’s animation capabilities.
I was looking for ways to try my hand at traditional 2D animation. Although I love drawing on paper, owning a Cintiq, I decided to benefit from an all digital approach. I created frame by frame pixel animations in Photoshop before and I already owned a licence to use the software, thus it would make the ideal starting point for my quest. While working with the timeline it became clear that most functions were inconveniently tucked aways in dropdown menu’s. After a first toolbar attempt with configurator I became obsessed with solving the problems imposed by the limitations of Photoshop’s native functions.
I am currently working on a paid (“Pro”) version of the Animator’s Toolbar. Some functions that were previously available in the free version for testing have been moved to the paid version. The core functionality is still available and free. e.g. You can still trim and move multiple layers at once, add or remove exposures to multiple layers or an entire video group.
Once the paid version is released it will provide more options for manipulating the frames on the timeline, save presets/templates, assign keyboard shortcuts etc. Having a paid version will allow me to keep the toolbar up to date and compatible with future Photoshop releases and develop new methods to make animating in Photoshop a fun experience.
- New Animation Project
- Toggle Timeline Shortcuts
- Toggle Favourite, ⌥Set Favourite
- Paste Special, ⇧ Skip Auto Merge
- Clear Layer Content, ⌥ Split and Clear*
- Create Hold
- Apply Colour Label, ⇧ Label as “Key”*, ⌥ Create “Key”*
- Apply Colour Label, ⇧ Label as “Extreme”*, ⌥ Create “Extreme”*
- Apply Colour Label, ⇧ Label as “Breakdown”*, ⌥ Create “Breakdown”*
- Apply Colour Label, ⇧ Label as “Inbetween”*, ⌥ Create “Inbetween”*
- Apply Colour Label, ⇧Name Reset*, ⌥ Clear content+Name Reset*
- Blank Frame After, ⇧Blank Frame Before*, ⌥ Duplicate Frame
- Add one Exposure, ⇧ Remove one Exposure, ⌥ Input*
- VideoGroup Selected, ⌥ Ungroup
- Reverse Selected Layers/Frames
- Trim Start, ⇧ Move, ⌥ Trim Start + Sequence Selected Layers*
- Split, ⌥ Split + Clear Layer Content*
- Trim End, ⇧ Move, ⌥ Trim End + Sequence Selected Layers*
- Roll Edit
- Set Start Work Area, ⇧ Go to Start of Work Area
- Reset Work Area
- Set End Work Area, ⇧ Go to End of Work Area
- Step Backward ⇧ Goto First
- Goto Time/Frame
- Step Forward ⇧ Goto Last
- Toggle Union Skin ⌥ Union Skin Settings
- Toggle Fit/Zoom, ⇧ Zoom 100%
*available in the Animator’s Toolbar Pro (currently in development)